Thursday, 27 January 2011
Monday, 24 January 2011
Just spent the day painting a bevvy of semaphore signal kits before final assembly and appraisal for the Model Rail Supertest that will appear in MR154. Although there's limited choice as far as brands are concerned, there is still a wide availability of signal types to suit modellers of most eras and regions. However, with 99.9% of them offered only as kits, we all have to clear a space on the workbench and get down to some assembly work.
But then, that's not the worst thing, is it? Especially as few signals are ever exactly the same, being tailored to suit specific locations and track plans. Therefore, kit-building and kit-bashing offers a more convenient route to getting the signals that we need.
Funnily, it's taking more time to paint all of these signal kits than build them in the first place, not least as it's best to part assemble them before painting and final fitting-out of signal arms and mechanisms. Note the really tall GWR post and etched fret of detail parts - they're from a 7mm scale kit.
Friday, 21 January 2011
Since returning from my week's holiday, I've started to read some of the many books that I bought whilst away. Some old, some new, none particularly blue.... Ahem.
Well, amongst the haul was a fabulous collection of b&w images of colliery-based steam traction in the '70s and '80s from GT Heavyside which is already providing lots of inspiration for my colliery layout extension. Also, there's a good few shots of NCB Giesel ejector-fitted Austerity 0-6-0STs, one of which I've started to recreate using the Hornby model as a basis. What a find, and all for the princely sum of £1 from the FoSCL shop on Settle station! It's a bit tattered (being ex-Leeds library stock) but it's all intact.
A new volume that I came across in a different Settle outlet was Airfix Kits by Trevor Pask, just recently published by Shire. This is a good read and, despite only being about 50 pages long, it contains plenty of info on the famous plastic kits, including the railway-themed products, many of which are still available from Dapol. Not as comprehensive as some of the books on the same subject by Arthur Ward, Pask's volume does at least come right up to date with details of the brand's acquisition by Hornby. There are also plenty of nostalgic images of kits and their packaging, bringing back memories of models that I built in childhood and adolescence.
When I got home, one of the first things I had to do was pop over to the Royal Mail depot to pick up a package from ModelHobbies, containing a bunch of plastic kits that I'd treated mydelf to. A quick look at their website (www.modelhobbies.co.uk) often results in me parting with money...
The point of this is that I'd been set a-wondering about the possibilities of the forthcoming re-release of the Lima 31 into the Railroad range by Hornby. Many people rate the Lima bodyshell above the Hornby model so, with a better motor, the Railroad product may well find its way into the hands of avid detailers. To get an idea of the possibilities, have a looks at James Wells' blog Eastmoor (http://eastmoor.blogspot.com/2010/11/project-31-finale.html) where he showed off his wonderful work on a Lima/Hornby hybrid.... truly inspiring.
Wednesday, 5 January 2011
The New Year has begun with a few tying-up of loose ends, as it were, with a couple of near-complete projects finally signed-off and the models duly packed up for storage or dispersal. Most notably, a Tower Models L&Y ‘Pug’ 0-4-0ST has been finished as a fairly careworn Bristol-based 51218. This is intended as a competition prize, I believe, as part of the forthcoming Bristol ‘O’ Gauge show.
Having been presented with a plain black, un-numbered model some months ago, it was my job to apply the appropriate cabside and smokebox numerals, along with the attractive early BR crests (all Fox Transfers). After a varnish coat or three, a weathered finish was applied, using paints, an airbrush and various powders. Some coal in the bunkers and a footplate crew completed the job. Oh, and the cab spectacles were also glazed with clear Perspex.
The cab interior is superb although, just like the real thing, it’s pretty cramped on the footplate and I couldn’t get a ‘shovelling fireman’ to fit, hence why the chosen figure is taking the chance for a quick brew whilst the driver concentrates on his duties. Consequently, the two chaps are from mixed sources: the moustachioed driver being an Inkerman Castings product and the fireman is from the Master Piece range from Falcon Figures.
After some light running-in on my tiny ‘O’ diorama to ensure even coverage of weathering over the wheels and rods, with no power collection problems, the little engine has been packed up and handed over to Chris Leigh for delivery to its owners by hand. I’ll be sad to see it go as it looked nice atop my shelf. If ever 7mm modelling was to grab me, it’s wee ‘kettles’ like this that grab me. I like the idea of something similar pootling about a little yard scene. But, alas, such traction is beyond my humble means! And there’s the space issue too, what with too many ‘OO’ gauge projects on the go as well!